Sunday, August 3, 2014

Why I Was Buried In Dirt


I am always grateful for the many opportunities I am given and amazed at my ability to say yes.  It is a daily practice to not give in to fearful thoughts as they spin around your mind like a broken record telling you it is safer to remain in your comfort zone.  I hear that voice; it whispers to me from the dark alley of my mind.  But I also have a voice that now speaks louder. This voice reminds me that when I say yes I am shining a light on the darkness of fear.

Today I said yes to being completely buried in dirt, only leaving my face exposed.  In a beautiful ceremony I was submerged into the soil, the womb of our Great Mother Earth.  As I waited for my turn, I had many thoughts that rambled through my mind.  They were the usual thoughts like bugs, not being able to breathe, panic attacks, dirt in the ears, eyes, nose and other orifices.  When it was my turn, I silently made an agreement with the creepy crawlers that I was only paying a visit, took a deep breath, stepped in, and laid down.  I remember how warm the earth felt, I had expected it to be cool.  I remember the smell, so fresh like after a gentle rain.  I remember the sound of the gentle wind flapping the palm trees around me like the wings of the Eagle.  I remember the sound of the ocean as the waves kissed gently against the shore.  As I was lovingly being covered in dirt, I reminded myself that I am not my body, I am everything and everything is me.  I remember how much lighter the dirt felt over my body than I imagined it would.  When a fearful thought came to me, I observed it in my body.  I felt where I was holding tension and I took a deep breath releasing that tension.  I remember the sounds of rattles, drums and beautiful singing in a language I did not know, but was somehow familiar.  I remember the beating of the earth just above my head that sounded like the heartbeat of Pachamama.  Most of all, I remembered that I said yes.  Repeating my mantra - I am not my body, I soon found myself soaring the heavens with a convocation of Eagles.  My body was weightless, my spirit was free and the beauty I witnessed could only be felt.  It didn't seem long before the excavation began, preparing me for my birth.  With some assistance, I emerged from the earth.  As I stood up on wobbly legs,  I couldn't help notice the darkness of my skin.  I saw a flash of my indigenous ancestors and suddenly felt a connection that was so familiar.  I walked to the hose where I was to rinse off and the chill of the water took my breath away.  As I used my hand to wash off the dirt I felt the intrinsic beauty of earth and water.  I knew I had to be submerged so before rejoining the group, I spent some time in the salt pool.
Following the Pachamama Ceremony we went into a sacred plant ceremony of Sairy and Mambe and ended the night with an amazing fire ceremony.

It was the Monday before this Saturday event that something was calling me to do a short juice cleanse so I made the decision that I would do it Wednesday-Saturday.  On Tuesday I received the invitation to attend this ceremony.  At first I was going to decline because I knew I would be coming off a juice cleanse (fear).  The next day I said YES to the ceremony without realizing it was actually a purging ceremony.  When I say yes, I am able to see the synchronicity in life that reads like a road map to my higher self.  When I say yes, I have growth.  When I say yes, I am free.


What will you say YES to?


~Marla  Saturday 8/2/2014

1 comment:

  1. Yes, Yes, Yes - such power, such freedom, such a beautiful word! So happy to have spent this sacred time with you my sister! Aho!

    ReplyDelete